New Testament Bible History Handbook (Galatians sample)
Click on the NT Handbook cover image to view the chapter on Galatians. The Handbook is a 336 large page hardback book that is a very helpful resource book for any Christian who loves to study God’s Word.
The beautifully-designed cover tells the story of the basis of Christianity, the spread of Christianity, the difficulties encountered during its spread and the writing of the New Testament during that process.
This Handbook is first of all a stand-alone resource book that will be very helpful for many. When I prepare a lesson or sermon from a book of the Bible, I like to gather together some basic background information to get into the first-century mood of things. Historical background is very important; cultural background sets some limits on the subject, and some basic word studies will put me in the know to better understand the passage under consideration.
With this in mind, considerable time was spent to put into this Handbook some of the basic building blocks needed when attempting to more fully understand what God is saying through the passage being studied. I am often opening this Handbook for my own preparation. Simply, it will save considerable time and give me a running start on preparation.
The back cover of the Handbook has the following paragraph:
- An illustrated, practical resource that will be used with enjoyment
- A key to open up the historical and cultural background of Bible times
- A treasury of 1150 word studies and comments to whet the appetite for in-depth Bible study
- An author who lived and served many years in the lands of the Bible to lead into a fuller understanding of biblical culture, background and geograph
*The Handbook is being used currently as a:
- Textbook for Bible colleges and church institutes
- Helpful resource book for pastors, missionaries, Sunday school teachers and Christians keen to study
- Textbook for companion tools of Workbook and 30 hours of DVD that form a Bible Survey Course for church institutes as well as couples for home study, schools and homeschooling.
Bible believers have the desire to study God’s Word, and we are exhorted to do so in order that we might be “approved of God” as prepared ambassadors for Him. As a pastor and missionary for over 60 years (since 1954) it was always a challenge for me to facilitate opportunities that would assist and encourage people to study God’s Word in a structured fashion. We have done our best to create a tool that will facilitate that goal.
I’ve noticed another thing in our technology-conscious age: all of us as Bible believers have a strong desire to see the places about which we are studying. It is a genuine thrill to stand on the Mt. of Olives and look down over the city of Jerusalem. The shores of the Sea of Galilee are exciting to us-Jesus was there! Few will have the opportunity to visit the Holy Land; it is quite expensive and, unfortunately, today it can be a little dangerous because of political turmoil.
Both the Old and New Testament Bible History Illustrated books will widen your understanding of the Word of God in its historical, geographical and archaeological contexts.